Goodbye 2015; Hello 2016


Space Needle

This final day of 2015 started out pretty normally. Woke up, fed the cats, put on my make-up, got dressed, then looked at my to-do list. All doable!

I needed to pick up my car from my mechanic of 19 years, and no one was around to drive me there, so I called Uber . Uber was in 50 percent surge-price mode, so I said, forget that! Opened
Lyft and put in my location and request...

Lyft did something weird.


I watched the Lyft car circle around, then was notified the car had arrived. Scanning all directions—no Lyft. The driver calls and tells me he is in West Seattle. Uh, yeah. I was 20 minutes away in Madrona. Wonder what happened? Obviously I couldn't wait for him, so I called my old standby, Farwest Taxi. They said it would be 15 minutes until a cab would reach me. No thanks. In this age of "I have no time to wait," I called Yellow Cab next. They arrived in 5 minutes.

An older East African gentleman


was driving and he wouldn't exceed 25 MPH. Drove me kind of nuts, actually, and eventually I jumped out a few blocks early and sprinted to my mechanic.

Let me just back up


by saying my family and I went to Star Wars on Tuesday evening. We were in a hurry (of course), but I wanted to grab my gloves out of my car. When I shut the door, I don't know how it was possible, but I slammed it shut on my Northface jacket. The door would. not. open. I had to twist around to extricate myself, then left the jacket hanging outside the door, then ran into the house and got another down coat. (It's really cold here right now.)

cardoor
Weird how the door wouldn't open

My car was scheduled for a tune up


at CarTender Wednesday, so I figured I'd ask them to get the door unjammed. I felt pretty lame driving there with my coat partly hanging outside the car.

CarTender always washes and vacuums my car. But this time, I got there and it was still dirty. I asked the car-washing crew what was up, they said, "Well, at least we got your coat out of the door :)" Whoops. I was an ingrate! I paid my bill, wished some of the guys happy new year, drove away and was on to my next errand.

So we got a coupon for a free box of litter from Mud Bay. The coupon expires today. My plan was to pick up the litter after retrieving my car.

After searching 15 minutes for the store, it turned out Mud Bay moved. Guess where? Just a few blocks from my mechanic! Hey, let's drive all around Capitol Hill for no reason! Yay!

I got to the new location for Mud Bay,


but of course there was no parking. So I parked next door at the convenience store, ran in, bought a bag of chips and asked the guy if it would be okay to leave my car there a few minutes.

Zipped into Mud Bay, bag of chips in hand. I thought I should buy something since they were going to give me a box of litter, so I grabbed 10 rattle mice. Rattle mice are toys for cats that look like mice—covered with fur, with ears, a nose, eyes and tail. They have something inside that rattle, which somehow makes it more fun for cats.

Got to the checkout and guess what? They were out of the Oko litter and had no idea when they would get some—a supply chain issue or something. So I bought the rattle mice anyway. I now found myself with a bag of chips and 10 rattle mice I didn't need.


sweet dog at mud bay
Sweet dog at Mud Bay


But what's this?



Lyft notifies me they are billing me $5 for a ride cancellation. What a minute. They never showed up. Is that considered a cancellation? Grrrr!


Next stop: Costco.



What do you know? I got a great parking spot just outside the door! Finally, things were looking up!

Costco was a total zoo but I managed to get my stuff and get out within an hour.

As I loaded my car, I walked around to the passenger side, and wow. There was a five-dollar bill on the asphalt! That almost paid for my cab ride!


Seeing that my day was on the upswing,



I had to feel better about the way it started. It was riddled with what my friend Reg likes to call, "first-world problems."
So this evening, to celebrate new year's eve, we met two long-time friends for dinner at
Cafe Lago , one of our favorites. The food reminds us of Tuscany.


One friend got very drunk



and knocked over a full glass of water onto the table, my phone and into my lap. Nice.
After dinner we walked out, freezing pant legs from where I was doused with water, and with drunken friend singing loudly (and out of tune), "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling." I don't know if I'd lost that lovin' feeling, but I was starting to lose feeling in my legs.


Walked in the door to our home.



A phone call from our property manager, saying our AirBNB  guests lost power on the second floor. Oh, no!

David told them where to find the circuit breaker. Power restored. All good!


Ready to say goodbye to 2015,



I am counting my blessings, I have a wonderful husband, kids, friends and clients. I love our store, Alki Surf Shop , and blessed with many great people in our lives. And I'm also grateful to have my health. Next September 1 will be my 10th anniversary in remission. I'm ready for 2016!


Happy New year to everyone!


If you have any great 2015 stories, I'd love to read them!


Family

Family together for Christmas, including our two dogs, Grey and Hunter

Verizon Wireless has given me the opportunity to use some of their products. Family photo and coat in the door shot with a Motorola Droid Turbo 2. No other compensation has been received for any of the links mentioned.

Special thanks to Jennifer for inspiring me to write this!



Comments

  1. Anonymous8:10 AM

    Terri,
    The events you experienced sound like they came from a script from 'Seinfled'! Funny how lots of little events can create an interesting and sometimes frustrating day. Glad your family was together during Christmas and you had good times! Looking forward to seeing you in 216!
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Vickie,
      First of all, HAPPY NEW YEAR! I hope you guys had a relaxing and fun NYE and day!
      The day started out so normally, then quickly felt like an imp was messing with me!
      Still, all's well that ends well, and it did!
      Can't wait to see you guys this year!
      Thank you for reading and commenting, V!
      ((HUGS)) and lots of love, Terri

      Delete
  2. Anonymous8:13 AM

    make that 2016! (iPad keyboard acting up in 2016)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! For some reason, my mind filled in the blank! XOX

      Delete
  3. September is 10 years in remission? Worth the read to get to that closer! Here's to 100 more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike, thanks a ton for the sweet comment. Yep—hard to believe it's been so long. Each day is a gift, for sure.
      Hoping your 2016 is filled with joy and positive people and things!
      Many thanks for reading and for your comment!
      Cheers/Terri

      Delete
  4. Anonymous2:24 PM

    Funny post. One banana peel after another, but you landed on your feet, with the best antipasti in Seattle. Salute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Banana peels are apparently good for a lot of stuff (http://www.prevention.com/health/life-hacks-using-banana-peels_) I know, weird, right?
      The Cafe Lago antipasti is well worth the price of admission. Everyone should be so lucky to start the year with such an amazing treat!
      Thank you for reading and commenting!
      Happy 2016!
      Cheers/Thanks/Terri

      Delete
  5. Such a wacky day. Some days are like that and some go as smooth as silk. Why is that? I agree with Vickie, it was like an episode from Seinfeld. In fact, there's enough fodder there for half a dozen episodes! Happy that you were able to take it in stride and so glad that you wrote about it. It makes me laugh every time I think about you doing those things. Happy New Year, Terri!! XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jennifer,
      Hey, we just got off the phone!
      Thanks for inspiring me to "document" my day, and for reading and commenting.
      At the end of the day, most of the things that happened that day were annoying, but certainly not big deals! Gotta be grateful we are all happy and well and ready to embrace a new year!
      Thanks for your friendship and support!
      Love, Terri

      Delete
  6. A lot of curveballs, and you landed on your feet as always. You should be set for smooth sailing for awhile after that day. Cheers to the new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Paula,
      Wow. We both seemed to be here almost at the same time!
      Thanks for reading and commenting here. It was such a zany day—and of course ending it with our wacky friends was the cherry on top.
      I hope you guys had a great one and that the year is off to an awesome start!
      Looking forward to seeing you later this week!
      Lots of love, Terri

      Delete
  7. Terri, I'm so thrilled you'll be celebrating 10 years of remission! That's a fantastic milestone!

    I love that you didn't let any of these individual situations snowball into something that would ruin your few days during the holidays.

    I'm glad they got your coat out of the door and got the car fixed up. That's a nice coat and I can imagine you wouldn't want to damage it.

    As for your friend and their drunken state, I'm sure that person was very close to the fine line between over-celebratory friend and drunken fool. At least you took it all in stride. I learn a lot from you, Terri.

    Be well and here's to an awesome 2016!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sara,

      It was so wonderful to have hang time with you in November. Thank you for the good wishes here, as well as for sticking with this meandering tale of "what the heck!?"

      Grateful the guys rescued the coat. And I'm glad I have a backup Northface! Sara. It snowed here today! Can you imagine that in AZ? Oh, I forgot, you have Flagstaff, so of course you can! It didn't stick, but maybe tomorrow!

      Thinking about our friend and wondering if an intervention should be on the docket for this coming year! It's getting out of hand!

      Wishing you and yours the best year, ever! Thanks for your friendship!

      ((HUGS)) and thanks for reading, Terri

      Delete
  8. Anonymous8:59 AM

    Wow! Was that all in ONE DAY? Crazy! Thanks for the interesting info about Uber/Lyft/Cabs. Congrats on 10 years in remission... I'm so thankful to have you in my life! love you! (your sis, who cannot figure out how to post here other than using anonymous)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Meliss,

      Thanks for reading this and for your funny comment. Yes, it was one day. Actually more like 12 hours, but a pretty crazy one.

      The ride sharing apps are great, and give us some great options for getting from one place to the next. That being said, it was funny how Yellow Cab was the most responsive.

      You and I both have a lot to celebrate this year!

      Lots of love, me

      Delete
  9. Anonymous8:59 AM

    Amazing photo!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Meliss,

      We shot the family photo with 4 different cameras, including a "real" Nikon. The image we chose for the Christmas card was shot with a Nexus 6P, and was the picture where Charley was so funny! The above photo was the nicest "normal" photo where we all looked pretty good, and it was shot with the Droid Turbo 2. Very nice camera and easy to use!

      Love, me

      Delete
  10. Happy New Year Terri! This was truly a wonderful read. There's nothing more important than spending time with family and the people that you love. Here's to a great 2016! I'm glad to call you my friend. Cheers!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Ralph,

      You've always been such a great friend, and I really appreciate you taking the time to read and comment on this post. It's just like you to be kind and giving!

      We're into the second half of January, and it's hard to believe time is zipping by so quickly. I hope your 2016 is shaping up to bring you lots of positive people and things.

      Spending time with family and friends makes all of life's hassles endurable!

      Wishing you and your family all the best, and thank you again for your wonderful friendship!

      Cheers & ((HUGS))
      Terri

      Delete
  11. What a wild tale to end 2015! My year was pretty boring compared to just your last day. We don't have Lyft or Uber in town yet and I'm not so sure I'd be using them anyway; after reading this I still have mixed emotions, especially since those weasels charged you for them not showing up.

    I wish you a great 2016!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Mitch,

      Yep. It was a weird one, for sure. But as Shakespeare wrote, "All's well that ends well!"

      To be honest, Uber and Lyft are normally pretty convenient. It just so happened that particular day the stars were NOT in alignment! And I was able to connect with a human being with Lyft who removed the charge.

      So glad we have had a chance to meet on Twitter. I'm enjoying our budding friendship!

      Happy new year to you, too!

      Cheers & thanks, Terri

      Delete

Post a Comment

terri

i'm a graphic designer who loves words. - terri nakamura